Various Artists – Eric Clapton: Life In 12 Bars (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (2018) | Peter Kerry Morgan | Steve Cumyn
Forum Jump: 
 44Likes

post #1 of 54 Old 06-04-2018, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7685 Post(s)
Liked: 13335
New C 538 CD Player from NAD

With all the attention payed to vinyl records and which streaming site is the biggest, it's easy to forget how many CDs there are out there. For music lovers and audio enthusiasts alike, popping a disc into a drawer and hitting play remains an appealing way to experience an album. Now, NAD has ensured that you can play back your CD collection on a quality dedicated CD player, the C 538. Click here to read more.
glangford likes this.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 06-05-2018 at 06:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 06-04-2018, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
With all the attention payed to vinyl records and which streaming site is the biggest, it's easy to forget how many CDs there are out there. For music lovers and audio enthusiasts alike, popping a disc into a drawer and hitting play remains an appealing way to experience an album. Now, NAD has ensured that you can play back your CD collection on a quality dedicated CD player, the C 538.
I wonder if it's any better than the Onkyo C-7030.

Part of my ever-growing SACD collection
post #3 of 54 Old 06-05-2018, 01:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
With all the attention payed to vinyl records and which streaming site is the biggest, it's easy to forget how many CDs there are out there. For music lovers and audio enthusiasts alike, popping a disc into a drawer and hitting play remains an appealing way to experience an album. Now, NAD has ensured that you can play back your CD collection on a quality dedicated CD player, the C 538.
Nice to see this. Read the article in nadelectronics news. Sounds like a nice player. What is sorely needed is someone to come out with a cd/sacd player in the 500 buck range. Marantz replaced the 8005 player with the 6, and dropped sacd.

The cheapest thing available for cd/sacd is now the yamaha cd1000 at about 1200 bucks and the rest are 2000 and up. With Oppo gone there is a definite need to fulfill with affordable sacd/cd playback. I don't mind having a cheap Blu ray player, I don't watch that many movies. But give me a decent affordable cd/sacd player, preferably with usb input for high resolution files and analog out to a headphone amp.

I have 3 oppos now, 2 203s and 1 95, that I will baby along till someone fulfills this need. The only thing today that can do this is a Sony udp x1000es, for 499. The Oppo 203 was 549, so someone can build a decent cd/sacd player that can be had for 500 bucks, it must be possible!

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-95, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520
Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser 650 HD

post #4 of 54 Old 06-05-2018, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Yup with the high price for vinyl , I have switched back to buying more cd’s again . Enjoying my oppo and marantz sa14s1
post #5 of 54 Old 06-05-2018, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
The cheapest thing available for cd/sacd is now the yamaha cd1000 at about 1200 bucks and the rest are 2000 and up. With Oppo gone there is a definite need to fulfill with affordable sacd/cd playback. I don't mind having a cheap Blu ray player, I don't watch that many movies. But give me a decent affordable cd/sacd player, preferably with usb input for high resolution files and analog out to a headphone amp.
Totally agree!

post #6 of 54 Old 06-05-2018, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I bet you NAD rebadged an Oppo type of CD player with a bit of a fancy power supply .

Sony VW285ES, Arcam850, Def Tech 9000 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Oppo203 Screen studioTak130 with 1.3 gain, and a nagging wife.
post #7 of 54 Old 06-05-2018, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 321
I don’t think it will sell very well.

TV - LG 65B7P OLED / Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040 7.2 / Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83 / Turntable - Technics SL-3300
Game - Playstation 3 / Cable Box - Comcast X1 V4 4K / L&R Paradigm Studio 20 V3
Center - Paradigm CC-470 V3 / 4 Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15 V3 In Walls
Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12 / Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100
post #8 of 54 Old 06-05-2018, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Nice to see this. Read the article in nadelectronics news. Sounds like a nice player. What is sorely needed is someone to come out with a cd/sacd player in the 500 buck range. Marantz replaced the 8005 player with the 6, and dropped sacd.

I have 3 oppos now, 2 203s and 1 95, that I will baby along till someone fulfills this need. The only thing today that can do this is a Sony udp x1000es, for 499. The Oppo 203 was 549, so someone can build a decent cd/sacd player that can be had for 500 bucks, it must be possible!
The Sony UBP-X800 plays SACD for like $250
hk2000 and Muphasta like this.
post #9 of 54 Old 06-05-2018, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by zencarver View Post
No analogue output.
post #10 of 54 Old 06-05-2018, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post
No analogue output.
True enough
post #11 of 54 Old 06-05-2018, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 2213 Post(s)
Liked: 2492
Quote:

Cambridge Audio CXUHD, which is the Oppo 203 sibling, will be produced for one more year according to Cambridge Audio and can be had for $699.

Update: Sorry, forgot that the CXUHD has not analog outs.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers
Media Room: Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200(x2) | Oppo UDP-203 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-55X930E |
post #12 of 54 Old 06-05-2018, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 530
What a horrendous waste of money

Denon X-4300 | Onkyo M-282 | Audio Technica AT-LP3 | HTPC |
Polk RTiA3 x 6 - RTiA6 x 1 - Polk Atrium 5 x 4 | PSA 15s | PSA XS30
Epson HC 2100 | 100" Elite Screen |
post #13 of 54 Old 06-06-2018, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
“Although music downloads and streaming continue to grow in popularity, CDs are still the primary listening source for millions of people around the world” explained Greg Stidsen, NAD’s Director of Technology and Product Planning.
For the sake of argument, let's pretend that more people listen to music from CDs than from the combined paid and free sources of downloads and streaming like Pandora, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, SiriusXM, YouTube, SomaFM... nevermind. I can't pretend that hard. In either case, I find it unlikely that any number of "Primarily CD Listeners" would pay $300 for the privilege. The few CD buyers I know rip them to FLAC or other formats and never actually play anything directly from a disc. But hey, there's one born every minute. Good luck, NAD.
post #14 of 54 Old 06-06-2018, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
I don’t think it will sell very well.
What's a CD?

Do they still make them...

I am also assuming that most already have a CD player who still have CD's or are sticking with the format.

How many folks are shopping around for a new CD player.

Is it an April fools joke?

Den - LG 65 OLEDE7P - Denon AVR-X4200W - Definitive Mythos STS - ProCenter 2000 - SR-8040BP - SVS Ultra-13 - DTV 4K - XBOX One S
Media - LG 65 OLEDC8 - AVR-X4400 - KFL28F - Vienna Acoustics Center - Def GEMS Rear - Def A60 Atmos - Monitor Silver SUB - DTV 4K - XBOX One X
My YouTube Tech Channel - http://www.youtube.com/c/TechFan
post #15 of 54 Old 06-06-2018, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton View Post
What a horrendous waste of money
In the world of audio gear, 300$ (or less) is hardly “horrendous”. In relative dollars, it would be the least expensive CD player I’ve ever purchased (if I were to buy one) by a considerable margin (and I’ve never bought one that wasn’t the entry level or one level up of a mainstream brand like Kenwood (1985), Technics (1988), Denon (1993)—since then my players have also been purchased for SACD playback, like a Marantz (2004) and a Cambridge Audio (2012). In converted dollars, they vary from 450-700$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
For the sake of argument, let's pretend that more people listen to music from CDs than from the combined paid and free sources of downloads and streaming like Pandora, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, SiriusXM, YouTube, SomaFM... nevermind. I can't pretend that hard. In either case, I find it unlikely that any number of "Primarily CD Listeners" would pay $300 for the privilege. The few CD buyers I know rip them to FLAC or other formats and never actually play anything directly from a disc. But hey, there's one born every minute. Good luck, NAD.
I play discs every day. I have players in several rooms for that purpose. If any of them stops functioning, this would be a very reasonable option as a replacement. And not everyone wants either an Internet or computer based music system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satboy View Post
What's a CD?

I am also assuming that most already have a CD player who still have CD's or are sticking with the format.

Wow. I could understand the reaction to a 3000$ player but seriously? This affronts your sensibilities? Are there less expensive options? Sure. But this is hardly an outrageous price for a piece of audio gear.
jdcrox and edved1 like this.

Last edited by Ovation; 06-06-2018 at 06:11 AM.
post #16 of 54 Old 06-06-2018, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 892
I noticed that BEE is missing?
post #17 of 54 Old 06-06-2018, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post
In the world of audio gear, 300$ (or less) is hardly “horrendous”. In relative dollars, it would be the least expensive CD player I’ve ever purchased (if I were to buy one) by a considerable margin (and I’ve never bought one that wasn’t the entry level or one level up of a mainstream brand like Kenwood (1985), Technics (1988), Denon (1993)—since then my players have also been purchased for SACD playback, like a Marantz (2004) and a Cambridge Audio (2012). In converted dollars, they vary from 450-700$.

I play discs every day. I have players in several rooms for that purpose. If any of them stops functioning, this would be a very reasonable option as a replacement. And not everyone wants either an Internet or computer based music system.

Wow. I could understand the reaction to a 3000$ player but seriously? This affronts your sensibilities? Are there less expensive options? Sure. But this is hardly an outrageous price for a piece of audio gear.
It's not the cost but the audience of such, plenty of used ones on the market too. It takes a company lots to produce something of such I just question the return on investment.

Must be a market segment or they wouldn't be making them right?

Den - LG 65 OLEDE7P - Denon AVR-X4200W - Definitive Mythos STS - ProCenter 2000 - SR-8040BP - SVS Ultra-13 - DTV 4K - XBOX One S
Media - LG 65 OLEDC8 - AVR-X4400 - KFL28F - Vienna Acoustics Center - Def GEMS Rear - Def A60 Atmos - Monitor Silver SUB - DTV 4K - XBOX One X
My YouTube Tech Channel - http://www.youtube.com/c/TechFan
post #18 of 54 Old 06-06-2018, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's not the cost but the audience of such, plenty of used ones on the market too. It takes a company lots to produce something of such I just question the return on investment.

Must be a market segment or they wouldn't be making them right?
I read one article (I think at Sound and Vision) where NAD claims their CD player sales have gone up in recent years as other companies abandon them, so I would suppose so. I doubt it will be a big driver of revenue, but there are still a number of applications where a CD player, rather than a DVD/BD all in one player, can be attractive. For example, I have a Marantz DV6400 in my living room as my music disc player. It plays CDs, DVDs, SACDs and DVD-As (I've had it for 14 years). I use it regularly, though only for music these days. In my home office, I have a Cambridge Audio DVD99, for the same reason. In my main HT room, I have an Oppo BDP-83. Now, if any one of these machines stops functioning, I will replace it. If it is the Oppo, it will be with another MCH SACD/DVD-A capable player (though likely not another Oppo). And that could happen--the Oppo no longer plays Blu-rays reliably at all and it is getting finicky with DVDs. Still plays DVD-A and SACD, for now. If one of the other two players dies, I may not bother with SACD/DVD-A player replacements in their case. The living room is 2 channel only (and that will not change--might add a sub, but that's it). I buy SACDs and DVD-As for their MCH mixes above all else. I have very few SACD non-hybrid discs, so I could live without SACD capability in the living room or home office (the Marantz dates back to pre-HDMI days, the DVD99 was bought for its HDMI output and replaced by the Oppo for Blu-ray: each was chosen, at one time, for the main MCH rig and re-purposed).

One thing I appreciate about all my current music disc players rarely offered on new all in one players is the display screen. I have a basic Sony BD player (to take over from the Oppo's failing BD playback) and it has no display. As I only watch movies with it, that's fine. I use the OSD. But I don't want to have to fire up the projector to check track lists and playback time and etc. from my music players. Even so, each of my current multipurpose music players offers me info on a display screen, but it's not as extensive as I used to get from my dedicated CD players of old (and would get from the NAD). That has some value to me.

In any case, I guess I found it a bit extreme (in general) to have such reactions to a rather low-priced (in the overall scheme of things) piece of gear. CDs are not as popular as they once were, but they are still around and sold by the millions (far more than the vinyl everyone seems so excited about) and I'm hardly alone among people I know with CD collections in the many hundreds (I actually have several thousand) who still put a shiny disc in a tray and press "play".

If there's a market for new reel to reel players/recorders, 50,000$ turntables and vacuum tube monoblock amplifiers selling for six figures, I find it rather easy to imagine a 300$ CD player from a reputable company will sell well enough to make it worth their while.
post #19 of 54 Old 06-06-2018, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 91
This will suffer the same fate as OPPO disk players.

Denon 1911
LCR: Polk RTiA7, CSiA6
Front height: 8" Monoprice in-ceiling
Rear: 6.5" Monoprice in-ceiling
Sub: PSA 15V x2
post #20 of 54 Old 06-06-2018, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdameron View Post
This will suffer the same fate as OPPO disk players.
I rather doubt it, at least in the short to medium term (say 5-7 years). Oppo was far less diversified than NAD, so fewer opportunities to spread the cost across other devices; the price tag is considerably lower; there are still people who have audio only systems where something like this would be useful...

If NAD expects to sell these by the bucket load, perhaps. But I expect it will hold its own as the alternatives in dedicated CD players are almost all more expensive (and I expect street prices to be somewhat lower, making it more appealing).
post #21 of 54 Old 06-06-2018, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:

Yamaha bd s681 do all that for 329

Envoyé de mon Nexus 4 en utilisant Tapatalk
post #22 of 54 Old 06-06-2018, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G00dband View Post
Yamaha bd s681 do all that for 329

True enough. Accessories4less has three different Yamaha universal players for sale, all with analog out. They also had a pioneer elite for sale a while back I pointed someone too, but they are now out of them. It was only 149.

These are all players probably on their way out. Only BD not 4K BD. So I doubt they'll be around long. Maybe Yamaha will come out with a 4K version, who knows. I think in the future though, I'd rather split my boxes up. Just a cheap 4K player like the Sony-800, but a real CD/SACD player with analog for running to the headphone amp. The 800 would be fine for SACD/CD through my external speakers and the Anthem, but I need a good analog player for my headphone rig. But I'll run my oppos in the ground before I do anything. Hopefully, that will be a long time away.
Ovation and G00dband like this.

post #23 of 54 Old 06-06-2018, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
I saw the same player on Facebook Marketplace for under $150

Sony VW285ES, Arcam850, Def Tech 9000 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Oppo203 Screen studioTak130 with 1.3 gain, and a nagging wife.
post #24 of 54 Old 06-06-2018, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What's a CD?

The NAD CD player is likely to be a product marketed worldwide. In other markets, CD is still relevant. In Japan, the world's second biggest music market, CD still reign supreme with 70% of the market as a source of recorded music. After all, if SACDs are still being pressed, then CD will be pressed as well.

Last edited by ematcion; 06-06-2018 at 12:01 PM.
post #25 of 54 Old 06-06-2018, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
I noticed that BEE is missing?
Maybe he didn't design this CD player.

post #26 of 54 Old 06-06-2018, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
What's a CD?

Don't know but libraries may still have a boat load of them as well as 2nd hand stores as well. Lots around.
Muphasta likes this.
post #27 of 54 Old 06-06-2018, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Since I started using I Tunes, my CD's just sit on the shelf. You can't beat the convenience. And yes, I Tunes sound great.

TV - LG 65B7P OLED / Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040 7.2 / Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83 / Turntable - Technics SL-3300
Game - Playstation 3 / Cable Box - Comcast X1 V4 4K / L&R Paradigm Studio 20 V3
Center - Paradigm CC-470 V3 / 4 Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15 V3 In Walls
Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12 / Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100
post #28 of 54 Old 06-06-2018, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Exactly what I was going to reply!

Love my Sony both for UHD and SACD. And I got it on sale for like $159.

If something like this had been around back when SACD was in its infancy/adolescence (instead of absurdly priced machines) maybe the format would've taken off. For a format to have a chance you've got to price the hardware in line with what your average Joe would consider spending. DVD/Blu-ray took off just because of this. LaserDisk, which was absurdly expensive (I know, I have about 75 discs and a Pioneer Elite player sitting on a shelf in the basement: RIP CLV/CAV), didn't stand a chance. Hindsight 20/20 and all that.

THX® Certified Video Calibrator 3 (www.empiricalav.com); Movie Blog (www.theconflictedfilmsnob.com)

Denon AVR-X3200W, Sony UBP‑X800, LG OLED B6 65", DefTech 2002 (center), SM450 (L&R), SM350 (Surround), Pioneer SP‑T22A‑LR (Height), SVS SB-2000 (Sub), Apple TV 4K
post #29 of 54 Old 06-06-2018, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
True enough. Accessories4less has three different Yamaha universal players for sale, all with analog out. They also had a pioneer elite for sale a while back I pointed someone too, but they are now out of them. It was only 149.

These are all players probably on their way out. Only BD not 4K BD. So I doubt they'll be around long. Maybe Yamaha will come out with a 4K version, who knows. I think in the future though, I'd rather split my boxes up. Just a cheap 4K player like the Sony-800, but a real CD/SACD player with analog for running to the headphone amp. The 800 would be fine for SACD/CD through my external speakers and the Anthem, but I need a good analog player for my headphone rig. But I'll run my oppos in the ground before I do anything. Hopefully, that will be a long time away.
Hope your Oppo last for a long time but if you have to shop for a good sacd player, take a look at Denon DCD-1600NE.

Not crazy expensive (1200 USD) and really well built.

post #30 of 54 Old 06-07-2018, 01:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G00dband View Post
Hope your Oppo last for a long time but if you have to shop for a good sacd player, take a look at Denon DCD-1600NE.

Not crazy expensive (1200 USD) and really well built.

Yea, I've seen that around some. Music Direct has them as well as some other internet retailers. But it's persona non grata on the Denon USA site, so would denon honor a warranty in the US? It appears to have the exact same case and loader configuration as the BDP-4010 UDCI universal player denon used to sell. It's like they produced the old universal player and dropped BD support from it. Not a bad move. I still say though that someone could make a sub 1000 player, even closer to 500 bucks without BD support for CD/SACD playback. The denon does beat out the yamaha cd-1000 by 100 bucks as the cheapest I know of for CD/SACD playback (non BD player).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Tags
c 358 , Nad